Our first wine tasting event was a huge success! We had over 20 people come to Brookside Mountain Mist Inn to sample our seven featured wines and delectable hors d'oeuvres. We want to thank our wine distributor rep, Jeb Boyd, for providing his time and vast knowledge of the wines we sampled. We would also like to thank all our family and friends for their love and support.
We showcased four white wines:
1. King Estate Pinot Gris from Oregon. This wine was a surprise to me, as I had no idea it was a version of Pinot Grigio. The flavor was rich and honeyed, redolent of melon, pineapple, pear, sweet white flowers and baking spice.
2. Honig Sauvignon Blanc from Napa Valley. The mixture of flavors for this wine are grapefruit, lemongrass and lime with overlaying passion fruit and mango characters.
3. Olivier Leflaive "Les Setilles" from France. This wine is actually a mixture of Puligny-Montrachet(60%) and Meursault(40%). There is a distinctive almond taste mixed with exotic fruit, white flowers with discreet acidity and a smooth, impressively long finish.
4. Rombauer Chardonnay from Carneros. A rich and full-bodied wine with peach, apple and mango aromas and flavors. The creamy texture and the light oak tones highlight the finish.
And three red wines:
1. Decero Malbec from Mendoza, Argentina. This wine boasts intense violet, spice and fruit aromas with bright raspberry and red fruit flavors. It has good structure with elegance and a long finish.
2. Marquis Philips Shiraz from South Australia. A beautifully textured wine that explodes in the mouth with sweet berry, rich mocha, vanilla spice, hints of pepper and a big, soft, tannic finish.
3. Twenty Bench Cabernet from Napa Valley. This wine is expansive in the mouth and evocative of blackberries, licorice, chocolate covered cherries and cocoa powder.
By far, the reds were the most popular with our guests. Many found themselves wandering out to the back terrace overlooking the Balsam Mountain Range and watching the sun set.
Be sure to watch for our next wine tasting event in the near future. We may be enhancing the wine tasting experience with live music out on the back terrace!
Carolyn Gendreau & Dina Giunta
Brookside Mountain Mist Inn