At Brookside Mountain Mist Inn, we have incorporated this principle into our daily practices and routines in order to reduce our environmental impact. We are very fortunate to live in the progressive town of Waynesville, North Carolina. For a small town, Waynesville has alot to offer in the way of recycling, conservation of resources and local products available to the community. The Waynesville recycling program includes:
- mulitple convenience drop-off centers for all recycled materials
- specialized landfills for various toxic materials such as flourescent light bulbs, used motor oil, batteries, etc.
- weekly, curbside pick-up of recyclable materials
- separate curbside pick-up of yard waste
- conversion of stumps and large tree trunks into usable mulch
- recycling centers for cell phones, electronics, used furniture, etc.
- multiple thrift centers for unwanted, used household items
- farmer's and tailgate markets for local produce, homemade goods and crafts
We converted all of our light bulbs to the more energy efficient compact flourescents over two years ago. This has helped reduce our energy consumption considerably. When we remodeled all our bathrooms last year, we recycled all of the old copper and iron/steel pipes and fixtures. We also added water saving toilets to reduce our overall water consumption. In addition, we encourage our guests to hang their towels back up for reuse in order to further reduce energy consumption and detergent use.
We also use an "earth friendly" laundry detergent called ECOS. This detergent is 100% all natural, is petrochemical free, formaldehyde free, 1,4 dioxane free and has a neutral pH. Even the container is recyclable! There are no dyes or perfumes added so our guests with allergies or overly sensative skin won't have to worry about reactions to our towels or linens.
Lastly, we recycle a significant amount of wastes generated here at the Inn including:
- daily newspaper
- junk mail
- wine bottles
- glass food containers
- plastic water bottles
- soda cans
- all metal food containers
- all #1 or #2 recyclable plastic containers
At Brookside Mountain Mist Inn, we are proud to do our part in helping to reduce waste and conserve resources for many generations to come. Let us be "Your Luxury, 'Green', Smoky Mountain Escape".
Carolyn Gendreau & Dina Giunta
Brookside Mountain Mist Inn